Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Almost Homemade

Oh the excitement of posting my first recipe! I thought, and thought, "Now which tried and true recipe shall I begin with?" (You know, I didn't want the first one to be a flop.) So after considerable deliberation, I decided on, Ghiradelli Dark Chocolate Brownies.

While running the risk of losing a few viewers right off the bat, in my defense may I suggest that sometimes a boxed brownie recipe can be just as intimidating as a six layered cake made from scratch.  If you're a veteran cook, you know as well as I, that the hardest part of any recipe is to get up off the couch, walk over to the kitchen, and pull out all the ingredients. Hence, my reasoning behind first starting with a box. For novices, and veterans alike, it's a sure thing.

There may be purists among you who feel "If it ain't made from scratch, then it ain't cookin'!" Generally speaking, I would agree. However, upon attempting hundreds of brownie recipes throughout the years, I've found Ghiradelli's to be most consistent for chewiness, and taste. Dark chocolate is my favorite. They have others if you're not keen on dark.


Recipe:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
1- Go by the directions on the back of the box explicitly. Until you're ready to bake.

2- Know your oven!!! It will serve your palate very little to know mine, unless of course, I made it. Even then, it can be hit or miss. Place a cooking thermometer in the oven to check its accuracy, or like me, trial and error.

3- Pick your pan size, and may I add, don't vary. I use a metal 8'' x 8'' pan, and while the instructions call for 40-45 minutes, mine are ready in 37 minutes on the dot. Experiment, then note and put to memory the amount of time that works for you.

Bling:
I top warm brownies with *organic strawberries, that have been previously sliced and sprinkled with sugar. Then I add a huge dollup of heavy whipping cream. Splurge, don't buy boxed or canned, always whip up your own. (Unless you're making my Frosted Fruit Salad recipe.) I add confectionary sugar for sweetener in the whipping cream and a splash of pure vanilla extract, right before it peaks.


*Suggestions
May I add a quick remark regarding organic. I have found some people emphasize "...and it's organic!" when serving their delectables, as if to cover for the fact their recipe lacks flavor. Call me intuitive, but I look my ingredients over very carefully before I buy them to make sure they have good energy. Sometimes that's organic, sometimes not. You be the psychic ;)

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness! organic. brownies. almost homemade. sold. keep it coming with the "almost homemade" recipes....

    ReplyDelete